Last Updated: 2020-08-07
Histiocytoma, dermatofibroma lenticulare, fibroma en pastille, hard fibroma, Subepidermal nodular fibrosis, Sclerosing angioma
Dermatofibroma is a benign dermal and superficial subcutaneous proliferation. It is made up of oval cells which resemble histiocytes, and spindle‐shaped cells resembling fibroblasts and myofibroblasts.
More common in women in young adulthood.
- Ictus reaction
- Ruptured cyst
This is followed by an inflammatory reaction of the connective tissue.
Mostly appears on the lower extremity as a red/brown, sharply defined, lenticular nodule is visible.
If the skin lesion is fixed between thumb and index finger, the nodule sinks (Fitzpatrick sign).
In the case of unusually large dermatofibromas (> 5 cm diameter) one speaks of giant dermatofibromas.
- Clinical features
- Biopsy if uncertain.
Usually no treatment is necessary. However, cellular, atypical and aneurysmal variants should be completely removed conservatively.
- Goette DK. Basal Cell Carcinomas and Basal Cell Carcinoma-like Changes Overlying Dermatofibromas. Arch Dermatol 1975;111:589.
- Tamada S, Ackerman AB. Dermatofibroma with Monster Cells. The American Journal of Dermatopathology 1987;9:380-7.
- Kamino H, Jacobson M. Dermatofibroma Extending into the Subcutaneous Fat. The American Journal of Dermatopathology 1990;12:315.
- Abenoza P, Lillemoe T. CD34 and Factor XIII a in the Differential Diagnosis of Dermatofibroma and Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. The American Journal of Dermatopathology 1993;15:429-34.
- Kuo T-t, Hu S, Chan H-L. Keloidal Dermatofibroma. The American Journal of Surgical Pathology 1998;22:564-8.
- Rudolph P, Schubert C, Zelger BG, Zelger B, Parwaresch R. Differential Expression of CD34 and Ki-M1p in Pleomorphic Fibroma and Dermatofibroma With Monster Cells. The American Journal of Dermatopathology 1999;21:414.
- Chen T-C, Kuo T-t, Chan H-L. Dermatofibroma is a clonal proliferative disease. J Cutan Pathol 2000;27:36-9.
- Yazici AC, Baz K, Ikizoglu G, Koca A, Kokturk A, Apa DD. Familial eruptive dermatofibromas in atopic dermatitis. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 2006;20:90-2.
- Kim HJ, Lee JY, Kim SH, et al. Stromelysin-3 expression in the differential diagnosis of dermatofibroma and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: comparison with factor XIIIa and CD34. Br J Dermatol 2007;157:319-24.