Folliculitis profunda (furuncle/carbuncle)
Last Updated: 2019-08-27
Staphylodermia follicularis et perifollicularis profunda, Staphylodermia follicularis profunda necroticans, Staphylodermia follicularis profunda.
A boil is an often painful, abscending inflammation of the follicles and perifollicular with scarred healing. Several confluent boils combine to form a carbuncle.
Infection with Staphylococcus aureus, especially in patients with immunosuppression. Mostly by autoinoculation.
Size-progressive pustules, which finally form a node with environmental edema. Fluctuation occurs in the course of time. Often additional crusts are visible. Pressure pain is typical. When split, pus empties. Partially red. General condition with febrile temperature, fatigue and fatigue.
Confluent boils. Oedem can result in rock-hard palpation, especially in the back area.
- Blood count (e.g. leukaemia), ESR , temperature., possibly DM exclusion.
- Nasal smear
Predilection sites include the outer auditory canal (extremely painful), upper lip, nose, neck, buttocks and inner thigh.
Locoregional lymphadenitis, thrombosis (sinus vein thrombosis) and thrombophlebitis in nasal and auricle furuncles, orbitaphlegmones, meningitides in centrofacial localization.
- Arnaiz-Garcia AM, Arnaiz-Garcia ME, Arnaiz J. [Management of furuncle, furunculosis and anthrax]. Med Clin (Barc) 2015;144:376-8.
- Dallaire-Dufresne S, Tanaka KH, Trudel MV, Lafaille A, Charette SJ. Virulence, genomic features, and plasticity of Aeromonas salmonicida subsp. salmonicida, the causative agent of fish furunculosis. Vet Microbiol 2014;169:1-7.
- Rashtak S, Gamble GL, Gibson LE, Pittelkow MR. From furuncle to axillary web syndrome: shedding light on histopathology and pathogenesis. Dermatology 2012;224:110-4.
- Demos M, McLeod MP, Nouri K. Recurrent furunculosis: a review of the literature. Br J Dermatol 2012;167:725-32.
- Eiland G, Ridley D. Dermatological problems in the athlete. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 1996;23:388-402.
- Jorda V. Diseases of hairy skin. Curr Probl Dermatol 1984;12:185-223.