Last Updated: 2022-07-22
Author(s): Anzengruber F., Navarini A.
Plantar pitting, pitted keratolysis, dimpled keratolysis, ringed keratolysis, keratoma plantaris sulcatum.
Dimpled corneal defects on the stressed areas of the soles of the feet.
- Occurring worldwide
- Frequently seen in men
- Sneaker wearers are particularly affected
- Rarely occurring in patients >50 years
- Very common in tropical and subtropical climates
- The disease does not occur in cold climates and is not observed in barefoot people in dry climates
- Frequent association with erythema sulcatum and erythrasma
- Corynebacteria, Micrococcus sedentarius, Dermatophilus congolensis, Actinomyces spp
- The development is mainly favoured by hyperhidrosis and occlusive footwear. In a warm and humid environment, there is a proliferation of bacteria that occur in the normal skin flora. Damage to the horny layer and enzymatic activity of proteases and keratinases lead to the formation of shallow dimples
- Whitish skin-coloured, as if punched out, circine dimples on the pressure-loaded areas of the sole of the foot. No or little pressure pain, but patients sometimes report pain when walking
- Mostly foetid odour (bromidrosis) and hyperhidrosis
Soles of the feet, especially the pressure-loaded areas.
Urbital defects of the str. corneum. Sometimes bacteria can be detected.
If milieu factors can be eliminated favourably, otherwise there is a risk of a chronic course.
- Pranteda G, Carlesimo M, Pranteda G, et al. Pitted keratolysis, erythromycin, and hyperhidrosis. Dermatol Ther 2014;27:101-4.
- Van der Snoek EM, Ekkelenkamp MB, Suykerbuyk JC. Pitted keratolysis; physicians' treatment and their perceptions in Dutch army personnel. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2013;27:1120-6.
- Kaptanoglu AF, Yuksel O, Ozyurt S. Plantar pitted keratolysis: a study from non-risk groups. Dermatol Reports 2012;4:e4.
- Kaminska-Winciorek G, Spiewak R. [Pitted keratolysis--how to treat?]. Pol Merkur Lekarski 2011;31:127-9.
- Kennedy W. Case of the month. Pitted keratolysis. JAAPA 2008;21:86.
- Rho NK, Kim BJ. A corynebacterial triad: Prevalence of erythrasma and trichomycosis axillaris in soldiers with pitted keratolysis. J Am Acad Dermatol 2008;58:S57-8.
- Singh G, Naik CL. Pitted keratolysis. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2005;71:213-5.
- Lee HJ, Roh KY, Ha SJ, Kim JW. Pitted keratolysis of the palm arising after herpes zoster. Br J Dermatol 1999;140:974-5.
- Takama H, Tamada Y, Yokochi K, Ikeya T. Pitted keratolysis: a discussion of two cases in non-weight-bearing areas. Acta Derm Venereol 1998;78:225-6.
- Takama H, Tamada Y, Yano K, Nitta Y, Ikeya T. Pitted keratolysis: clinical manifestations in 53 cases. Br J Dermatol 1997;137:282-5.