Last Updated: 2023-07-07
Author(s): Anzengruber F., Navarini A.
ICD11: 1E 76
A self-limiting, very common disease caused by the epidermotropic, highly contagious poxvirus, which occurs mainly in children, atopics and immunodeficiencies.
Occurring mainly between 3-10 years of age.
- Incubation period: 2-7 weeks, occasionally up to 6 months
- Transmission occurs via skin contact or dusts. The possibility of autoinculation has also been described
Whitish, centrally dented, broad-based papules. The content of the papules is highly contagious.
Clinic, biopsy if necessary.
Basophilic virus-infected epidermal cells (molluscum corpuscles), epithelial hyperplasia.
- Au WY, Lie AKW, Shek TW. Fulminant molluscum contagiosum infection and concomitant leukaemia cutis after bone marrow transplantation for chronic myeloid leukaemia. British Journal of Dermatology 2000;143:1097-8.
- Gottlieb SL, Myskowski PL. MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSUM. International Journal of Dermatology 1994;33:453-61.
- Hanna D, Hatami A, Powell J, et al. A Prospective Randomized Trial Comparing the Efficacy and Adverse Effects of Four Recognized Treatments of Molluscum Contagiosum in Children. Pediatric Dermatology 2006;23:574-9.
- Hengge UR, Cusini M. Topical immunomodulators for the treatment of external genital warts, cutaneous warts and molluscum contagiosum. Br J Dermatol 2003;149:15-9.
- Hengge UR, Esser S, Schultewolter T, et al. Self-administered topical 5% imiquimod for the treatment of common warts and molluscum contagiosum. British Journal of Dermatology 2000;143:1026-31.
- Skinner RB, Ray S, Talanin NY. Treatment of Molluscum Contagiosum with Topical 5% Imiquimod Cream. Pediatric Dermatology 2000;17:420-.
- Smith KJ, Col, Usa MC, et al. Molluscum contagiosum: its clinical, histopathologic, and immunohistochemical spectrum. International Journal of Dermatology 1999;38:664-72.
- Smith WA, Siegel D, Lyon VB, Holland KE. Psoriasiform eruption and oral ulcerations as adverse effects of topical 5% imiquimod treatment in children: a report of four cases. Pediatr Dermatol 2013;30:e157-60.
- van der Wouden JC, van der Sande R, van Suijlekom-Smit LWA, Berger M, Butler CC, Koning S. Interventions for cutaneous molluscum contagiosum. Protocols: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009.