Psoriasis vulgaris in children
Last Updated: 2023-09-28
Author(s): Anzengruber F.
Cases of plaque psoriasis in children <2 years of age have also been published.
Tendentially, the prevalence increases with age.
A prevalence of about 1% is assumed for all children and adolescents.
Triggers, e.g. infections, Köbner phenomenon, emotional stress, obesity, passive smoking, paradoxical reaction under tumour necrosis factor (TNF) α-blockers. Otherwise, drug triggers in children are rather rare.
Sharply demarcated, erythematous plaques with whitish-silvery scaling.
The diagnosis can be made clinically.
A thorough family history is useful.
In some cases, a biopsy must be done to confirm the diagnosis.
If tinea corporis cannot be clearly ruled out clinically, a mycology should be done.
It is important to take a history of joint complaints, GI complaints and diabetes mellitus.
If the diagnosis of tinea corporis cannot be clearly ruled out clinically, mycology should be performed
Poriatic nail changes are already possible in childhood.
Mostly on the capillitium, elbows, periumbilical, knee and rima ani. However, almost any localisation can be affected
In young children, nappy psoriasis may occur.
-Chronic inflammatory bowel disease is associated
-Adult metabolic syndrome
- Menter A, Cordoro KM, Davis DMR, Kroshinsky D, Paller AS, Armstrong AW, Connor C, Elewski BE, Gelfand JM, Gordon KB, Gottlieb AB, Kaplan DH, Kavanaugh A, Kiselica M, Kivelevitch D, Korman NJ, Lebwohl M, Leonardi CL, Lichten J, Lim HW, Mehta NN, Parra SL, Pathy AL, Farley Prater EA, Rupani RN, Siegel M, Stoff B, Strober BE, Wong EB, Wu JJ, Hariharan V, Elmets CA. Joint American Academy of Dermatology-National Psoriasis Foundation guidelines of care for the management and treatment of psoriasis in pediatric patients. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Jan;82(1):161-201.
- Eichenfield LF, Paller AS, Tom WL, Sugarman J, Hebert AA, Friedlander SF, Siegfried E, Silverberg N, Cordoro KM. Pediatric psoriasis: evolving perspectives. Pediatr Dermatol. 2018 Mar;35(2):170-181.
- Lansang P, Bergman JN, Fiorillo L, Joseph M, Lara-Corrales I, Marcoux D, McCuaig C, Pope E, Prajapati VH, Li SZJ, Landells I. Management of pediatric plaque psoriasis using biologics. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Jan;82(1):213-221.
- Relvas M, Torres T. Pediatric psoriasis. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017 Dec;18(6):797-811.
- Hebert AA, Browning J, Kwong PC, Duarte AM, Price HN, Siegfried E.J Managing pediatric psoriasis: update on treatments and challenges-a review. Dermatolog Treat. 2022 Aug;33(5):2433-2442.