Last Updated: 2019-08-27
- Actinic keratosis (AK)
Degeneration of collagen fibres, resulting in increased wrinkling and irregular pigmentation.
- Only occurs on lighter skin types.
- Elderly people.
UVA/UVB/IR radiation all seem to have a causal effect. The release of oxygen radicals (singlet oxygen, superoxide anion/ hydroxyl radical) and indirectly the increased synthesis of metalloproteinases, which lead to the destruction of structural proteins, disorders of the connective tissue metabolism and the destruction of existing collagen.
Wrinkling (age lines) and pigmentation (Lentigo Solaris) occur in the area of UV-exposed areas.
- Atrophic epidermis.
- Missing subepidermal elastic fibers.
Degenerated, basophilic, cloddy connective tissue fibres which colour like elastic material.
Topical retinoids, such as Airol 0.05% Lotio or Adapalen Gel can be tried.
- Heras JA et al. Bullous solar elastosis. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2007 May;32(3):272-4.
- Pui JC, Arroyo M, Heintz P. Linear focal elastosis: histopathologic diagnosis of an uncommon dermal elastosis. J Drugs Dermatol. 2003 Jan;2(1):79-83.
- Sellheyer K. Pathogenesis of solar elastosis: synthesis or degradation? J Cutan Pathol. 2003 Feb;30(2):123-7.