Last Updated: 2023-07-07
Author(s): Anzengruber F., Navarini A.
Syringocystadenoma described by Neumann, syringoma by Fiocco
Syringocystadenoma, hidradenoma eruptivum
Darier's hidradenoma eruptivum, and the more common syringoma of the eyelids.
Unclear, possibly embryonic tissue.
Multiple, oval, pale pink or yellowish, non-scaling, pinhead to pea-sized papules. The long axis of the oval follows the skin folds. Elevated above the skin surface, palpable.
Eye lids, eruptive syringomas but also on the neck, shoulders, chest.
Eruptive syringomas occur during childhood, periorbital slowly in adulthood. Association with trisomy 21, anti-epilepsy medication, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus. Köbnerisation by inflammation or hair waxing has also been described.
Multiple, small epithelial cell collections with central ducts surrounded by a cuboidal cell layer. A comma-like shape is quite typical and often visible, well demarcated from the fibrotic stroma.
No spontaneous response.
- Williams K, Shinkai K. Evaluation and management of the patient with multiple syringomas: A systematic review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol 2016; 74:1234.
- Ciarloni L, Frouin E, Bodin F, Cribier B. Syringoma: A clinicopathological study of 244 cases. Ann Dermatol Venereol 2016; 143:521.
- Oztürk F, Ermertcan AT, Bilaç C, Temiz P. A case report of postpubertal eruptive syringoma triggered with antiepileptic drugs. J Drugs Dermatol 2010; 9:707.
- Garrido-Ruiz MC, Enguita AB, Navas R, et al. Eruptive syringoma developed over a waxing skin area. Am J Dermatopathol 2008; 30:377.
- Yoshimi N, Kurokawa I, Kakuno A, et al. Case of generalized eruptive clear cell syringoma with diabetes mellitus. J Dermatol 2012; 39:744.
- Urban CD, Cannon JR, Cole RD. Eruptive syringomas in Down's syndrome. Arch Dermatol 1981; 117:374.
- Polat M, Pelitli A, Oztaş P, et al. Eruptive syringoma associated with hyperthyroidism. Skinmed 2010; 8:124.
- Guitart J, Rosenbaum MM, Requena L. 'Eruptive syringoma': a misnomer for a reactive eccrine gland ductal proliferation? J Cutan Pathol 2003; 30:202.