Last Updated: 2023-07-07
Author(s): Anzengruber F., Navarini A.
Cytomegalovirus, CMV, human herpesvirus 5, HHV 5.
Viral infectious disease. The human herpes virus 5 acts as the trigger.
- Worldwide, approx. 50-80% of the population is contaminated
- Prevalence regressive
- Transmission by droplet infection, smear infection, transplantation and transfusion
- After the virus has established itself in the mucosa of the oropharynx, viral replication and haematogenous spread via leucocytes
- Most of the time, CMV infection is asymptomatic
- May cause rejection after bone marrow or organ transplantation
- Intrauterine infections may lead to microcephaly, cataract, optic atrophy and intracerebral calcifications
- Monucleosis-like clinic
- Viral PCR
- CMV chorioretinitis
- Skin ulceration in HIV patients
- Bowden RA. Transfusion-Transmitted Cytomegalovirus Infection. Immunological Investigations 1995;24:117-28.
- Drago F, Aragone MG, Lugani C, Rebora A. Cytomegalovirus Infection in Normal and Immunocompromised Humans. Dermatology 2000;200:189-95.
- Horwitz CA, Henle W, Henle G, et al. Clinical and Laboratory Evaluation of Cytomegalovirus-Induced Mononucleosis in Previously Healthy Individuals. Medicine 1986;65:124.
- Lambert EM. Cytomegalovirus Ulcer. Arch Dermatol 2004;140:1199.
- Lee JY-Y. Cytomegalovirus Infection Involving the Skin in Immunocompromised Hosts: A Clinicopathologic Study. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 1989;92:96-100.
- Lesher JL. Cytomegalovirus infections and the skin. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 1988;18:1333-8.
- Meyers JD. Prevention and Treatment of Cytomegalovirus Infection. Annual Review of Medicine 1991;42:179-87.
- Nastouli E, Carrol E, Malone M, Riordan A, Lyall H. Fatal histiocytic proliferative disorders in paediatric HIV infection with cytomegalovirus end-organ disease. British Journal of Haematology 2009;146:580-2.
- Pariser RJ. Histologically specific skin lesions in disseminated cytomegalovirus infection. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 1983;9:937-46.
- Riley HD. History of the Cytomegalovirus. Southern Medical Journal 1997;90:184-90.
- Sia IG, Patel R. New Strategies for Prevention and Therapy of Cytomegalovirus Infection and Disease in Solid-Organ Transplant Recipients. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2000;13:83-121.
- Whitley RJ, Cloud G, Gruber W, et al. Ganciclovir Treatment of Symptomatic Congenital Cytomegalovirus Infection: Results of a Phase II Study. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 1997;175:1080-6.