Last Updated: 2021-10-15
Guinea pig fungus.
Dermatophyte infection on the face.
Pathogens: T. mentagrophytes, M. canis (zoophilic), T. rubrum (anthropophilic).
Especially children and adolescents.
- Erythematous, sharply defined, marginal, pruritic, scaly plaques and follicular-bound pustules.
- A manifestation is often also visible at other locations.
If zoophilic dermatophytes are detected, all animals with which there has been contact should be examined.
Examination of other persons in the household.
- The therapy should be carried out with both topical and systemic antifungals!
- Clotrimazole Cream (Canesten® Cream)
Terbinafin cream (Terbinafin® cream 1%)
Ketoconazole cream (Nizoral® cream 2%)
Amorolfine cream (Loceryl® 0.25% cream)
Griseofulvin cream: not available in Switzerland
Bifonazole cream: not available in Switzerland
Econazole cream (Pevaryl® cream 1%)
- Ciclopirox Cream (Ciclocutan® Cream or similar)
Ketoconazole-containing shampoo (Ketozol® shampoo, Keto-med® shampoo, Lur® shampoo, Nizoral® shampoo): leave in for 5-10 minutes.
Shampoo containing Ciclopirox (Sebiprox®-Shampoo): leave in for 5-10 minutes.
- Pregnancy: Only Nystatin is allowed.
Terbinafin (Lamisil®, Myconormin®) p.o. 250 mg 1x per day for 6 weeks
Alternative: itraconazole (e.g. Sporanox®) p.o. 200 mg 1x per day for 7 days
- Alternative: Griseofulvin p.o. 500 mg 2x per day (not available in Switzerland)
- Although only Griseofulvin is approved for use in children, we rather recommend the use of Itraconazole with regard to the available data.
In general, bedding and cuddly toys should also be washed at at least 60°C. In case of additional onychomycosis, appropriate diagnostics and therapy should be initiated.
- Czaika VA. Misdiagnosed zoophile tinea faciei and tinea corporis effectively treated with isoconazole nitrate and diflucortolone valerate combination therapy. Mycoses 2013;56:26-9.
- Ishizaki S, Sawada M, Suzaki R, et al. Tinea Faciei by Microsporum gypseum Mimicking Allergic Reaction following Cosmetic Tattooing of the Eyebrows. Medical Mycology Journal 2012;53:263-6.
- Kang D, Ran Y, Li C, Dai Y, Lama J. Impetigo-Like Tinea Faciei Around the Nostrils Caused by Arthroderma vanbreuseghemii Identified Using Polymerase Chain Reaction-Based Sequencing of Crusts. Pediatric Dermatology 2012;30:e136-e7.
- Kieliger S, Glatz M, Cozzio A, Bosshard PP. Tinea capitis and tinea faciei in the Zurich area - an 8-year survey of trends in the epidemiology and treatment patterns. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 2014;29:1524-9.
- Nenoff P, Schetschorke C. Tinea Faciei. New England Journal of Medicine 2014;370:e31.
- Viera MH, Costales SM, Regalado J, Alonso-Llamazares J. Inflammatory Tinea Faciei Mimicking Sweet's Syndrome. Actas Dermo-Sifiliográficas 2013;104:75-6.